We’ve Got You Covered

Medicare is a health insurance program from the federal government administered by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Generally, Medicare is available to anyone 65 or older and to those under 65 with certain disabilities.

Confused by enrollment? We’re here to help! At Wooten, our team is dedicated to helping North Carolinians find access to the best healthcare coverage with the least amount of hassle. Our insurance agents in the Triangle walk beside you every step of the way, empowering you to make informed decisions for you and yours – because we care about your health, too.

Medicare ABC(…and D)s

For your Medicare coverage, you have two choices – Original Medicare or Medicare Part C.

Medicare Part C often called Medicare Advantage, is health care coverage like HMOs or PPOs that are offered by private insurance companies. These plans offer all the benefits of Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance), and typically offer Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage) as well. 

For years, our Medicare insurance agents have been helping families in the greater Raleigh area select the right plan for their needs and goals. As you make a decision about which option is best for you, we’ll guide you with our Medicare expertise and with our personalized advice. 

How Do I Enroll in Medicare?

In most cases, enrollment in Medicare Parts A and B begin the first day of the month in which you turn age 65. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, you will not need to enroll – you will automatically receive your Medicare card approximately 3.5 months before the effective date. Each month, the SSA will deduct the premium for Part B from your Social Security benefit. 

If you are not receiving Social Security benefits, you will need to enroll in Medicare within the 3 months prior to the effective date – the first day of the month in which you turn 65. You may enroll online at, over the phone by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or by setting up an appointment at the SSA office. 

Please note that you will not need to start your Social Security benefits at age 65 in order to enroll in your Medicare benefits. Until your Social Security benefits begin, the SSA will bill you quarterly for Part B of Medicare. 

If you have group coverage from your or your spouse’s current employer, you can delay Medicare Part B. You will need to enroll in Part B two or three months prior to your retirement or loss of this group insurance – whichever occurs first.


We understand! Medicare can be complicated – but it doesn’t have to be. If you have any questions at all about plans and enrollment, please feel free to call our Triangle area agents! We would love to be your advocate.